- The course begins at 9:30 am and ends at 5:00 pm each day, according to CDT or (GMT-06:00) Central [US & Canada] time.
- We will be using the GoToTraining platform, which has great interactive features.
- We will include dedicated time for questions.
- We will take breaks, just as in a real classroom.
- You will receive the login details by email upon registering for the course.
- We recommend that you use computer audio, rather than connecting by phone, if possible, as well as headphones to avoid sound feedback.
Whether you are a recent arrival to Canada, a new professional just entering the job market, a student completing your studies, or looking to further your career in energy efficiency, CIET has developed a course that provides pragmatic knowledge and skills that you can demonstrate and apply to an employer from the outset. The program can also be seen as a steppingstone toward the Certified Energy Manager (CEM) designation – which is normally taken only after at least three years of experience in the field.
Participants in this course will:
- Be exposed to the principles, systems, codes and regulations that govern energy efficiency
- Gain well-rounded knowledge of energy management
- Understand the basics of how to calculate energy, benchmark and audit
- Learn where energy savings can be found in a building or facility
- Learn about energy supply and management
Who should attend?
- Professionals in career transition
- New Canadians interested in a career in energy efficiency
- Professionals seeking to upgrade their skills
- New graduates
- Recently hired energy management professionals
Over three days, the EMP 101 course is designed to take both generalists and specialists on an energy efficiency (EE) journey. We start by building foundational understanding, followed by a virtual tour of technical and system details. Next we visit some key application areas, finishing with an exploration of how engaging people and organizations can lead to sustainable EE.
Day 1: Foundation – Understanding Energy
- Overview of Energy Management
- Energy in Canada – The Big Picture
- Energy Fundamentals
- Energy Purchase Basics
- How a Facility Uses Energy
- Energy Calculations – Overview of Tools
Day 2: Systems – Principles & Opportunities
- A Systematic Methodology
- The Building Envelope
- Heating – Boilers & Heaters
- Cooling – Refrigeration & Air Conditioning
- Motors, Pumps & Fans
- Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Renewable Energy Sources & Systems
Day 3: Application
- How Do You Measure Energy Performance
- How Do You Find Savings Opportunities – EBCx & Audits
- How Do You Use Codes & Standards to Drive Efficiency
- How Do You Build a Business Case for Investment in Efficiency
- How Do You Verify Savings
- How Do You Engage People
- How Do You Leverage Organizations to Sustain Optimal Energy Management
Stephen Dixon is a freelance energy consultant. As Principal of TdS Dixon Inc., of St. Jacobs, Ontario, he brings a practical, hands-on approach to the challenge of developing the energy management capacities of a broad range of institutional, commercial and industrial organizations. Stephen has accumulated more than 35 years of energy management experience, including more than 800 energy assessments and the facilitation of over 1,700 energy management workshops. Stephen holds an M.A.Sc. in Systems Design Engineering from the University of Waterloo and a B.Sc. in Physics from UPEI.
Stephen’s extensive experience with RETScreen began with his significant contributions to the design and development of RETScreen’s energy efficiency models in RETScreen v4. Subsequently, Stephen’s popular Monitoring Targeting & Reporting Tool featuring simple regression and CUUSM functions inspired and informed the development of the RETScreen Plus Performance Analysis tools. Finally, Stephen provided technical support to the development of RETScreen’s newest version RETScreen Expert. Stephen has successfully delivered over 25 RETScreen training sessions and incorporated RETScreen training into more than 100 energy management training workshops.
The course includes...
You will receive a PDF copy of the training material by email during the week prior to the course.
If YOU CANNOT ATTEND THE COURSE:
Please inform us at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
CIET always has a free registration-postponement policy and is happy to apply it to all types of postponements, including in the current context of the COVID-19 outbreak. If we have another session of the same course on our calendar, we’ll gladly reschedule your registration to that date if desired. If not, we’ll keep your registration and inform you of our new fall 2020 training dates, which should be announced in June. Your registration and payment can then be applied to any new training session.
Should you still wish to cancel, we’ve temporarily suspended our cancellation policy and there are no fees for any cancellations for the duration of the COVID-19 situation.