This section serves as a reference tool to answer the questions most often asked. If you do not find the information you are seeking, do not hesitate to contact us by emailing at, or by calling 647-255-3107. 

How do I register for a course?

Go to the homepage of this website: Run your mouse cursor over the TRAINING AND CERTIFICATION header and click on Training Calendar among the choices in the pop-up menu. Once the Calendar appears, the list of courses is displayed. Select the desired training by clicking on the title to access the description. Begin the registration process by clicking on the green √ REGISTER NOW button on the right-hand side of the page.

How do I register more than one participant at once?

Once all the information has been provided for the first participant, a blue button to Register Another appears on the Registration Summary page. Click on it and the browser will be redirected to the first page of the registration process. You may add as many participants as you like by following this procedure. Once the last participant is registered, click on Next to review the registration terms, and then click on the blue Next/Finish button which brings you to the final stage.

When I click on Register, nothing happens. What’s wrong?

Sometimes the firewall of some businesses prevents employees from registering online through our website. We recommend either using your home computer or contacting us at: or 647-255-3107.

Why is the course I am interested in not listed in the Training Calendar?

The training in question is probably not offered this session, but it could be for next session. Contact us to add your name to the list of interested parties at: or add it directly by clicking on “Express my interest” in the “Share your training needs with us!” box on the right-hand side of both the Training Calendar list and the homepage.

Do you offer classes during the summer?

CIET currently does not offer training in summer. Regular sessions are offered from September to December and from January to June.

How do I benefit from the early bird rate?

This rate is based on the registration date and not the moment of payment. All participants can register to benefit from the early bird rate without immediately paying the fee. Simply select the cheque payment option. Early registrations close six weeks prior to the date of the training. Please note that our cancellation policy applies at all times whether you have paid or not.

What is the payment deadline?

Registration and certification fees must be paid in total five workdays prior to the start of training.

What are the payment options?

For certain courses, payment can be made immediately by credit card at the last stage of the registration process. To pay later, simply select the cheque payment option. (Participants may still pay by credit card later on.) For other courses, the credit card payment option is activated only at the time of confirmation, approximately four weeks (one month) prior to the training.

Which payment methods are accepted?

  • Credit card: Please note that only Visa and MasterCard are accepted. (American Express is not accepted.)
  • Cheque: Cheques must be issued in the name of 7956363 Canada Inc and mailed to the following address: CIET, 160, rue Saint-Paul, bureau 200, Québec, QC G1K 3W1. In cases of limited timeframes between registration and the start of training, it is recommended that cheques be sent by express postal service.

How do I receive the invoice?

There are two ways to receive invoices:

  1. You can instantly print the invoice upon completing registration.
  2. You can access your registration online by clicking on the link included in the registration confirmation email, and then print it. This link can also be used to make payments by credit card, if necessary.

When are courses confirmed?

Email confirmations are sent four weeks (one month) prior to the start of training. It is strongly recommended that participants wait for the training confirmation before reserving airline or train tickets.

When do I receive the training material?

Manuals are included in the price and distributed the first morning of training.

Are coffee breaks and lunch included?

In most cases, breakfast, lunch and coffee breaks are furnished throughout the duration of training without extra cost. For more details, consult the tab entitled THE COURSE INCLUDES on the page of the course you selected. You will receive complete details upon confirmation of the course, but do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions at

I’m unable to attend training for which I have registered. Can I postpone my participation to another session or be replaced by a colleague?

If you cannot attend training for which you have registered, it is possible to send someone in your stead without incurring extra cost. You may also carry over your registration to a later session. All change requests must be sent to CIET via email at

What is the cancellation policy?

All cancellation requests must be sent to CIET via email at Cancellation fees vary according to the type of training:


Tier 1: Certification Programs
  • Cancellation more than four weeks prior to training: no penalty fee.
  • Cancellation two to four weeks prior to training: $200.00 administration fee will be billed.
  • Cancellation less than two weeks prior to training: 50% of the total cost will be billed.
Tier 2: Short Thematic Courses
  • Cancellation more than four weeks prior to training: no penalty fee.
  • Cancellation two to four weeks prior to training: $150.00 administration fee will be billed.
  • Cancellation less than two weeks prior to training: 50% of the total cost will be billed.
Tier 3: Thematic Online Training
  • Cancellation more than four weeks prior to training: no penalty fee.
  • Cancellation two to four weeks prior to training: $50.00 administration fee will be billed.
  • Cancellation less than two weeks prior to training: 50% of the total cost will be billed.

Do you offer home energy auditing training?

CIET does not offer certification courses on home energy auditing. We only offer the AEE CEA commercial, industrial and institutional training to auditors.

What form does the Dollars to $ense workshop take?

For now, these workshops are delivered as business seminars. To obtain more information, contact Mathieu Côte at or 647-255-3107. To be added to the waiting list for eventual public sessions, contact us at

What is the difference between the Certified Energy Manager (CEM) and the Certified Energy Auditor (CEA)?

The CEM is a general survey of the technical, economic and regulatory aspects of effective energy management. It provides an overview of the field of energy auditing. The CEA certification is a specialized auditing seminar that provides the fundamental knowledge needed to evaluate how energy is used in commercial, industrial or institutional facilities and identify where consumption can be reduced. Additionally, it covers useful calculation methods and practical examples. Your choice depends on the requirements of your work. While the CEA is a scaled-down version of the CEM, both focus on different aspects. The CEM has a continuous optimization (or continuous auditing) mindset, while the CEA mostly targets consultants who need to conduct audits for clients. The CEA also covers energy audits more in-depth. The CEM does present different types of audits (ASHRAE Level I-II, walkthrough audits, etc.), as well as instruments, but subjects are covered more quickly. The CEM does not touch on report writing and software.

What is the difference between commissioning and recommissioning? What are the differences between the Certified Building Commissioning Professional (CBCP) and the Advanced Building Recommissioning (RCx) courses?

Commissioning is the bringing into service of equipment of a new building, while recommissioning is the re-optimisation of (inspection, diagnostics, repairs) of equipment in existing buildings. The CBCP covers commissioning, while the RCx covers recommissioning. The CBCP prepares participants for an American certification from the AEE that is recognised throughout North America. The RCx does not grant the right to use a new title, but renders participants eligible for recognition as a recommissioning agent from the BEIE. Recognition requires making a request pursuant to the successful completion of the exam. Issued certificates indicate that participants have successfully completed this advanced course and are signed by the Director General of the CanmetENERGY Centre of Natural Resources Canada.


Can I only challenge the exam and not attend and pay for the course?

The AEE requires that all participants must follow the training prior to challenging the certification exam. It is not possible to pass the exam without having taken the course.

What’s the difference between exam fees and certification fees?

The exam is part of the certification process. Exam and certification fees are the same.

Can I still attend the exam if I have not sent my application form prior to the examination day?

Although it is recommended that the application be sent at least three weeks prior to training, it is possible they take the exam without having sent the form to the AEE. (We do recommend sending it as soon possible after taking the course.)

What are the steps required for the certification process?

Registration is the first step to certification, but other steps are required. Participants must duly fill out and complete an application form for the relevant course and email it (with required documentation) in PDF format to the appropriate AEE certification director:

How do I take a makeup exam?

The cost is USD 100.00 to be paid directly to the AEE. You must contact the appropriate certification director to register:

If I know I’ll miss a class, can I still attend the remaining of the training? How do I take a missed test?

You can take the missed test at the next class, in addition to the test scheduled on that day. You will have one hour to write both tests. Please note that according to the BOC program requirements, only one absence per student is allowed in order to receive the Certification of Completion.

How do I maintain or renew my BOC certification or maintain my credentials?

For students who earned certification in 2017, it expires on 3/31/19. They will receive maintenance instructions and a renewal application in January of that year (2019), at which time they will need to document five maintenance points on their application that they have accrued since obtaining certification (by March 31, 2019). The renewal fee is USD $65.00. After the first renewal period, certification needs to be renewed annually (always with a renewal fee of USD $65.00). They have to document 5 maintenance points earned during the previous year for every renewal, the form for which is sent out annually in January.


There are many ways to earn maintenance points that aren’t costly. Here are some ways:

  1. You get 2 points for being employed in the Operations industry per year.
  2. You also get 1 point per hour of in-class or online training. CIET now offers live and on-demand online courses (1 to 2 hours each), see the list on our website at
  3. NEEC offers a BOC Technical Webinar series at NO COST to graduates using the discount code “current”. This is only available until your certificate expires. Viewing a Webinar is worth 1.0 points and taking the corresponding quiz is worth 0.5 points.
  4. You can also read the NEEC BOC Bulletin article and take a quiz for 1.0 points.


What are the requirements to apply for training incentives?

These incentives are only available to people who work in Ontario (all unemployed persons are not eligible). To learn about eligibility criteria or how to download the application form, consult the following link:

What is the process to obtaining funding?

The incentive is offered to organisations/employers (the Applicant) that send qualifying full-time employees to a training initiative. Registration/certification fees must be paid in advance. After successfully completing the course/exam, the Applicant must submit an application form. If approved, a reimbursement of up to 50% of the training cost is issued. This applies to the following courses:

  • Advanced Building Recommissioning (RCx)
  • Building Operator Certification (BOC)
  • Certified Building Commissioning Professional (CBCP)
  • Certified Energy Manager (CEM)
  • Certified Measurement & Verification Professional (CMVP)
  • Certified RETScreen Expert (CRE)
  • Dollars to $ense Energy Management Workshops
  • End-use Training: Compressed Air Challenge courses (CAC) – Fundamentals of Compressed Air Systems & Advanced Management of Compressed Air Systems

For any questions about the saveONenergy incentive program or to submit a request form, please send an email at

How can I become an energy advisor?

You will find all information on Natural Ressources Canada’s website. Notably, to register as an energy advisor to deliver services under EnerGuide Rating System v.15, energy advisor candidates must demonstrate proficiency by:

  • Passing the Foundation Level exam
  • Passing the Energy Advisor exam,
  • Being affiliated with a service organization


What is the energy advisor exam process?

For more details on the exam process, you are invited to read the Candidate Exam Handbook by Natural Ressources Canada.

Exam related information can be found at

  • If you wish to register for the exams, you must first complete the «Register» section.
  • Then, you can purchase the exams in the « Products » section.
  • To find the locations where exams are administered, consult the « Exam Centres» section.

For each of the exams, you are invited to read the appropriate Exam Competency Profiles found in the ERS-EnerGuide Rating System v15/ERS v.15 Competencies section of the File Exchange website. To obtain login details, please contact us at In the Subject section, please write “EG”.


How can I become a licensed Service Organization?

You will find all information on Natural Ressources Canada’s website. Notably, you must:

  • Be an individual or legal entity incorporated or registered in Canada;
  • Show proof of liability insurance;
  • Have a minimum of 2 years’ experience and knowledge related to energy efficiency and building science in the residential housing sector; and
  • Employ key personnel in the organization such as Service Organization Manager(s), Quality Assurance Specialist(s), and Energy Advisor(s) who have successfully passed the relevant NRCan’s exams.


Where can I find reference documents? 

To access reference documents such as EnerGuide Rating System v.15, the exam competency profiles as well as Candidate Exam Handbooks, please contact  


CIET has also developed two supplementary study guides to help participants with items identified as the most difficult: Foundation Level Exam Supplementary Study Guide and Energy Advisor Exam Supplementary Study Guide.

Newsletter subscription

Share your training needs with us!

Would you like to be trained on a specific topic? Just let us know!

mailExpress my interest
Need help ?

Send us an email and we will respond as soon as possible.