The Certified Measurement and Verification Professional (CMVP ®) is the most recognised designation in measurement and verification and provides a wide range of benefits to help you thrive in your field.
CIET is the exclusively authorised Canadian trainer of the Association of Energy Engineers (AEE) for delivery of the Certified Measurement and Verification Professional (CMVP) training and certification program.
The CMVP is awarded by Association of Energy Engineers (AEE) in conjunction with the Efficiency Valuation Organization (EVO). The CMVP training covers all methods applied for M&V of energy efficiency projects and includes, namely, the latest version of the International Performance Measurement and Verification Protocol® (IPMVP®).
This course will include tips and tricks on how to use the RETScreen Expert Clean Energy Management software to apply learnings, as well as a free 90-day subscription to the Professional mode of RETScreen Expert.
- Raise the professional standards of those engaged in M&V.
- Improve the practice of M&V by encouraging professionals to partake in a continuing education program for professionals.
- Identify persons with the required knowledge of M&V principles and practices by completing the certification program while fulfilling prescribed standards of performance and conduct.
- Award special recognition to professionals who demonstrate a high level of M&V competence and ethical standards.
- Building owners or industry stakeholders who wish to measure energy savings generated by their projects.
- Building owners or industry stakeholders who wish to partner with ESCOs to implement Energy Efficiency (EE) projects.
- Employees in charge of operating and evaluating EE programs.
- Engineering or professional firms specialised in EE.
- ESCO employees who conduct energy audits, prepare Measurement and Verification (M&V) plans and monitor project savings.
Efficiency Valuation Organization (EVO) offers the Certified Measurement & Verification Professional (CMVP®) program in Canada in collaboration with CIET as the delivery agent and the Association of Energy Engineers (AEE) as the certification body.
Each applicant for the CMVP certification must attend AEE’s three-day Fundamentals of Measurement & Verification training program prior to sitting for the CMVP exam. Exams are administered at each seminar site following each scheduled seminar. Each candidate for CMVP certification must pass the four-hour written exam as well as meet one of the following criteria:
Four-year degree in science, engineering, architecture, business, law, finance, or related field
Registered Professional Engineer (P.E.) or
Registered Architect (R.A.)
At least 3 years of experience in energy or building or facility management, or measurement and verification
Two-year technical degree, or four-year non-technical degree in a field not specified above
At least 5 years of experience in energy or building or facility management, or measurement and verification
At least 10 years of experience in energy or building or facility management, or measurement and verification
Current status of Certified Energy Manager (CEM®)
Certified Measurement & Verification Professional in Training Option
If you don’t yet meet the education or experience eligibility requirements for the CMVP, but succesfully pass the exam, you will be awarded the Certified Measurement & Verification Professional in Training (CMVPIT TM) certification.
The CMVP certification is recognized, required and otherwise supported in numerous public and private entities. In Canada, the CMVP is frequently listed as a key qualification on job announcements, but IPMVP and CMVP are most notably recognized in the following ways:
- The Independant Electricity System Operator (IESO) lists CMVP as a highly advisable status under its EM&V Protocols and Requirements.
- Consistency with IPMVP is part of IESO’s Project Measurement and Verification Procedures.
- The City of Toronto has required evaluators of claims for electrical savings have a CMVP for its Better Buildings Partnership – Existing Buildings Program.
- The IESO subsidizes up to 50% of training fees for the CMVP program under their saveONenergy Certified Measurement and Verification Professional (CMVP) Certification Incentive.
The Government of Alberta’s Quantification Protocol for Energy Efficiency in Commercial and Institutional Buildings require the Protocol to be applied either by a CMVP or a Certified Energy Manager (CEM).
The CMVP is an acceptable certification allowing professionals to verify building energy use data under Ontario’s Reporting of Energy Consumption and Water Use Regulation.
You know the CMVP is required or recognized elsewhere? Please let us know!
STEP ONE: REGISTER FOR THE SEMINAR
All CMVP candidates must complete theFundamentals of Measurement & Verification 3-day Training Program. After completing your seminar registration, go to STEP TWO below.
STEP TWO: COMPLETE YOUR CMVP CERTIFICATION APPLICATION
The exam is administered from 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. on the last day of the seminar.
Notification of Exam Results
Within thirty days of the date of the exam, you will be notified of your score. Your CMVP Application form must be submited before your score can be released. Do not call CIET about your test results before the end of the thirty-day period.
Review by Certification Board
If you receive a passing score and have submitted your CMVP Application form, and if your file is complete including all supporting documents, your file will be sent to the Certification Board for final review. You will be notified at that time that you will receive the Board’s approval or denial within sixty days.
Use of CMVP Designation
A Certified Measurement & Verification Professional (CMVP) may use the designation with name on organization letterhead, business cards, and all forms of address. Certification is for individuals only. The CMVP designation may not be used to imply that an organization or firm is certified.
Your completed application must be received at least 3 weeks prior to the course. After this date, you may be required to complete a waiver on-site if your name is not pre-registered on the exam sign-in list.
A CMVP must accumulate ten professional credits every three years and submit a completed Renewal Form to the Certification Renewal Director to remain certified. CMVP renewal notices are mailed in the 3rd year of certification six months prior to the expiration date, which falls on December 31 of that year.
For Additional Information About CMVP Certification…
If you have any questions about CMVP certification, please contact the Canadian Institute for Energy Training (CIET) at
The course includes...
- On the first day of training, you receive your copies of the CMVP workbooks which are included in the course fee.
- This course will include tips and tricks on how to use the RETScreen Expert Clean Energy Management software to apply learnings, as well as a free 90-day subscription to the Professional mode of RETScreen Expert, which you will receive at the end of the course.
- Please note that all breakfasts, lunches, as well as morning and afternoon coffee breaks are also included in the course fee.