The Energy Efficiency for Building Operators course is a hands-on and highly interactive 2-day course designed to engage, motivate and empower Building Operators. Over two days, our instructors will facilitate participant’s understanding of how energy behaves, how energy is used in their facility, and how it can be controlled through operational action across a variety of building systems.
A unique aspect of this training course is the Energy Hunt - which will bring participants out of the classroom and into the practical day-to-day operations of the building, allowing participants to take part in a detailed examination of a building. The learnings from this exercise will then be brought back into the classroom, where participants will learn how to conduct savings calculations for the energy found during the Hunt.
Throughout the course, a variety of physical demonstrations, calculations, worksheets, role playing, and case studies will be presented to bring to life the energy savings opportunities that exist within Lighting, Pumps & Fans, building envelope components, HVAC and Refrigeration, Building Automation Systems, ventilation, and more.
Building operators and related maintenance and facilities staff know their building better than anyone. As such, they are uniquely positioned to discover and act on energy savings opportunities that will reduce maintenance costs and the overall operating costs of their building.
- Learn how building operations impact energy consumption and how to identify energy waste
- Determine how you can improve energy efficiency through building maintenance and operations
- Gain expertise on how to conduct simple energy savings calculations, and explain savings to others
- Learn how building control strategies can be used to reduce energy consumption and costs
- Gain a better understanding of the optimization of heating, ventilation & AC
- Understand how to reduced energy through equipment selection/replacement
Who should attend?
- Building Operators & Facility Operations staff
- Building/Asset Managers
- Energy managers
- Service providers to the commercial building industry
Overview of Energy Management
Seven steps toward finding savings opportunities: costs, benchmarking, profiling
- Understanding current use
- Finding opportunities in waste, efficiency and supply options
Overview of major energy consuming systems:
- Fans & Pumps
- Boilers & Chillers
- Building Envelope
- Office Systems
Treasure Hunt Activity
- Survey of the physical building
- Observing the building through the BAS (Building Automation System)
- Checklist of opportunities
Details of the energy consuming systems
- Saving Calculations
- Automation systems savings
Making the case for EE: Presenting your ideas to others
The course includes...
- On the first day of training, you will receive your copy of the preparation workbook. This document is included in the course fee.
- Please note that all breakfasts and lunches, as well as the morning and afternoon coffee breaks are also included in the course fee.
If you are unable to attend the course, you may substitute another person in your place without penalty. All cancellations or postponements must be communicated to CIET by email at email@example.com.
- Registrations cancelled more than 4 weeks prior to the course starting date: no penalty.
- Registrations cancelled between 2 and 4 weeks prior to the course starting date will be assessed an administration charge of $100.
- Registrations cancelled 2 weeks or less prior to the course starting date will be assessed 50% of the registration fee.