You should know that:
- The course begins at 9:00 am and ends at 4:30 pm according to CST or Central Standard Time (UTC-06:00 US & Canada).
- We will be using the GoToTraining platform, which has great interactive features.
- We will include dedicated time for questions.
- We will take breaks, just as in a real classroom.
- You will receive the login details by email upon registering to the course.
- We recommend that you use computer audio, rather than connecting by phone, if possible, as well as headphones to avoid sound feedback.
The 1-day Energy Efficiency for Building Operators (EEBO) workshop is an interactive course designed to engage, motivate and empower building operators. Our instructors facilitate participant understanding of how energy behaves, how energy is used in their facility, and how it can be controlled through operational actions across a variety of building systems.
A unique aspect of this training course is the Virtual Energy Hunt - which brings participants into a building with the use of visuals and real-time BAS data. This allows participants to take part in a detailed examination of a building and its systems. Based on the results of the energy hunt, participants review what systems can offer the most energy savings and how to prioritize actions.
- Learn how building operations impact energy consumption and how to identify energy waste
- Determine how you can improve energy efficiency through building maintenance and operations
- Gain expertise on how to conduct simple energy savings calculations and explain savings to others
- Learn how building control strategies can be used to reduce energy consumption and costs
- Gain better understanding of how to optimize heating, ventilation & air conditioning
- Understand how to reduce energy through equipment selection/replacement
Who should attend?
This short thematic course is ideal for the following clientele:
- Building operators
- Facility operations staff
- Building/asset managers
- Energy managers
- Service providers to the commercial building industry
- Commercial project managers
Training Schedule (click the image to see it in full screen)
- Overview of Energy Management
- Energy Fundamentals
- Seven Steps Toward Finding Savings Opportunities: Costs, Benchmarking, Profiling
- Overview of Major Energy Consuming Systems
- Treasure Hunt Activity
- Prioritizing EE Actions
Stephen Dixon is a freelance energy consultant. As Principal of TdS Dixon Inc., of St. Jacobs, Ontario, he brings a practical, hands-on approach to the challenge of developing the energy management capacities of a broad range of institutional, commercial and industrial organizations. Stephen has accumulated more than 35 years of energy management experience, including more than 800 energy assessments and the facilitation of over 1,700 energy management workshops. Stephen holds an M.A.Sc. in Systems Design Engineering from the University of Waterloo and a B.Sc. in Physics from UPEI.
Stephen’s extensive experience with RETScreen began with his significant contributions to the design and development of RETScreen’s energy efficiency models in RETScreen v4. Subsequently, Stephen’s popular Monitoring Targeting & Reporting Tool featuring simple regression and CUUSM functions inspired and informed the development of the RETScreen Plus Performance Analysis tools. Finally, Stephen provided technical support to the development of RETScreen’s newest version RETScreen Expert. Stephen has successfully delivered over 25 RETScreen training sessions and incorporated RETScreen training into more than 100 energy management training workshops.
Michel Parent has a Bachelor’s (Laval – 1986) and a Master’s degree (Waterloo – 1988, Solar Energy) in Mechanical Engineering. From 1988 to 1990, he was in charge of the Solar Laboratory at the National Institute of Scientific Research in Varennes. He then joined the Energy Group at the Industrial Research Center of Quebec from 1991 until 1996. Since 1996, M. Parent is a partner in a consulting engineering firm, Technosim, specializing in energy efficiency. Technosim has offices in Quebec and Ontario.
Mr. Parent is specialized in energy efficiency in the commercial, institutional and industrial sectors. He has performed numerous audits across North America, which were used in developing long term energy management plans. Mr. Parent is an Existing Building Recommissioning (EB Cx) Agent and has performed recommissioning for over 5 million square foot of office and retail properties across Canada. He is a certified Existing Building Commissioning Professional (EBCP). Mr. Parent is a lead trainer for the Advanced Recommissioning Course developed for the Canadian Federal Government. Mr. Parent is also a Certified Measurement and Verification Professional (CMVP) and has developed and implemented many M&V plans compliant with the IMPVP standard. He has also worked on M&T projects implementation to insure continuous improvements to building efficiencies within the context of his EB Cx projects. Mr. Parent has developed training modules for large corporate clients to insure persistence of savings following EB Cx projects as well as on-going improvements. Mr. Parent was also retained by OEE to develop and pilot the introductory recommissioning courses. Mr. Parent is also recognized as an expert energy simulator by LEED and has performed many LEED simulations as well as third party reviews of energy simulations. Mr. Parent has performed over 100 reviews of EE4/eQuest simulations, including many required for LEED submissions. Mr. Parent is a recognized LEED technical reviewer. He is one of the three trainers, recognized by the Office of Energy Efficiency (OEE), in the use of the simulation tool EE4 used for LEED applications. Furthermore, he was contracted by Natural Resources Canada to evaluate the possible adaptations and usefulness of using Portfolio Manager within the Canadian market as a recommissioning tool.
Mr. Parent has been involved with RETScreen since its initial development. He has been in charge of developing the ground source heat pump module for RETScreen as well as being a technical reviewer for the solar (air and water) heating module, the wind energy module and photovoltaic modules of the initial versions of RETScreen. Mr. Parent is also an experienced RETScreen user, having been using the tool since its initial development until today in numerous feasibility analysis studies for renewable energy and energy efficiency projects.
The course includes...
- You will receive a PDF copy of the training material by email during the week prior to the course.
If you are unable to attend the course, you may send another person in your stead without incurring any penalty. CIET must be advised of any replacement, cancellation or postponement via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following fees apply for:
- Rescheduling your registration to another course:
- At least 2 weeks prior to the start of the course: no fee;
- Less than 2 weeks prior to the start of the course: $50 administrative fee;
- No show (after the beginning of the course): 15% of regular course fees.
- Cancelling your registration :
- At least 2 weeks prior to the course : no fee;
- Less than 2 weeks prior to the course: $150 administrative fee or 10% of regular course fees (whichever is greater);
- No show (after the beginning of the course): 25% of regular course fees.